The Advanced Search provides the ability to run more complex searches. This includes the ability to have more than three levels of search criteria, additional data fields, And/Or searches, and grouping of search conditions using parenthesis.
To create an Advanced Search, click "Advanced Search" at the bottom of the Refined Search area.
Advanced Search will contain several additional options than the Refined Search.
- And/Or - This option enables you to create more complex searches by using a combination of And/Or searches.
- Parenthesis - This option enables you to use parenthesis to determine the precedence of the search when combining the And operator with the Or operator.
- Add/Remove - This option adds or removes one level of the search criteria. By default, you have three criteria, you can add criteria to have more than three or remove criteria that is not needed.
In addition, the Advanced Search provides additional Search Type Filters for some data field types. See Search Type Filters for a complete list of the Search Type Filters that are available.
Here is an example of a search using the "AND" operator. This search looks for documents where the Vendor Names field matches the word "Office" and Invoice Amounts are greater than $1000 and Invoice Dates are between 1/1/2018 and 1/31/2018. Therefore, the search results must match all three search conditions.
It should be noted that the search below could be performed with the Refined Search because there are only three lines of search conditions and the search only uses the "And" operator.
Here is an example of the same search using the "OR" operator. This search would likely return a much larger search result set because the search results only have to match any one of the three conditions.
Here is an example of a more complex search using a combination of the "And" operator and the "Or" Operator. This search looks for documents that have data fields that have:
- A Status = Approved AND an Invoice Date between 1/1/2018 - 1/31/2018.
- An Invoice Amount > $100,000 AND an Invoice Date between 1/1/2018 - 1/31/2018.
The parenthesis are required for the 1st and 2nd lines of criteria to be joined by the "OR" operator with the 3rd and 4th lines of criteria.